ABOUT ME: I'm an accomplished and deadline-conscious writer, editor and project manager – on and off the web – with a track record of excellence covering business, technology, finance, education and healthcare issues and a strong network of contacts in these areas. Data – how to integrate it, analyze it, leverage it, and govern it – is a specialty.
Career accomplishments include: building content and social media awareness for a host of business-technology, education and health web properties; leading an award-winning news section focused on enterprise IT at business-technology publication InformationWeek; serving as a television spokesperson for topics related to home and SMB computing; launching a well-received analyst reports series at IT publication Network Computing; and managing and creating copy for custom editorial marketing projects. I like to think that the interpretative and analytical skills I used to attain a Master’s Degree in English and American literature helps me bring a fresh eye and a new perspective to many of the topics I cover as a reporter.
WHAT I DO NOW: Since 2006 I have been the principal of JMZ Content Services, an editorial advisory and content creation services firm. I deliver informed, high-quality and visually compelling content to publishers and corporate clients; direct the editorial development of custom web sites; provide uncompromising line- and top-level copy editing support; and serve in both host and speaker roles for corporate webinars.
● I am a regular contributor to Dataversity, the premier site for technologists, business professionals and tech enthusiasts invested in understanding today’s pressing data issues and next-generation computing advances. Previous to Dataversity’s acquisition of The Semantic Web Blog in 2014, I served as the point reporter on that site from its launch in 2007, helping to define content direction, establish relationships with leaders in the sector, and provide editorial input into conference development. At sister site Dataversity, I have extended my coverage of next-generation web and IT technologies with increased focus on emerging sectors such as cognitive computing, machine learning and Big Data analytics. Critical to supporting both these web sites is keeping in touch with our audience via social media venues including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Google Plus.
● I act as executive editor for custom web sites. Most recently I performed these duties for the Smart Architect group of Smart Enterprise Exchange, a site for IT leaders sponsored by UBM and CA Technologies. In the past I did the same for TransformationEnablers, a UBM- and Satyam-sponsored web site. Responsibilities across such sites include assigning and editing content, writing research reports and blogs, hosting webinars, and communicating with audiences via public social media venues.
● I write about a variety of technology, business topics, education and health topics for a slew of content providers, both independent media organizations and custom publishers. Publications and web sites to which I have contributed include: HealthCare Finance News; EdTech (Higher-Ed and K-12 versions), BizTech Magazine; RFID Journal, TechBeacon,The Hybrid Cloud Forum; Big Data Forum, HealthLeaders Media, and Restaurant Technology Magazine, among others.
● I create marketing content – white papers, survey and research reports, ebooks, industry analysis, bylines, newsletters, magazine articles and inserts, blogs, infographic text and other materials – to support campaigns for well-known and emerging enterprise technology vendors and academic institutions. Responsibilities for research reports often include requirements for me to contribute to the development of the questionnaire, and expectations that I will be able to turn a keen eye on the results in the service of accurate interpretations and compelling conclusions..
● I provide line-editing support both to public relations clients and custom content editorial organizations.
● I assist public relations/marketing organizations with custom collateral.
● I host webinars for corporate clients.
● I consistently engage in interactive conversations with my audience through Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and other social media forums.
WHAT I DID THEN: Strategized, wrote, edited, and controlled the quality and design of editorial content, and served as a media representative for the following:
United Business Media/ TechWeb, Manhasset NY
I held executive editor positions at InformationWeek and Network Computing magazines, where I managed reporting teams, oversaw content development, and wrote news and features articles. As senior editor at CMP’s custom marketing group, I worked with high-profile vendor clients on content for branded web sites and print media projects
● As InformationWeek executive editor, I led a team recognized by the American Society of Business Press Editors (ASBPE) for top honors in northeast regional news coverage. I launched our well-received High-Five Q&A interview series with leading industry figures.
● As InformationWeek news editor, I created sections including Emerging Enterprise, which provided relevant business-IT information to small- and mid-sized businesses, and the Regeneration series, which explored the role of IT in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
● As Executive Editor at Network Computing, I launched Analyst Reports, a paid white paper series, based on original research and staff insight. I built up the magazine’s ability to deliver timely and comprehensive product coverage online. I also managed Network Computing’s series of small- and medium-size business supplements.
● As Senior Articles Editor at HomePC, I was honored with the CMP Media award for best features coverage. I led the magazine’s first steps into the online world and became the media face of HomePC, appearing on Live with Regis and Kathy Lee, Lifetime’s New Attitudes, and MSNBC News, among other shows, to comment on personal technology topics.
● As senior editor at CMP’s Custom Integrated Marketing Solutions group, I oversaw editorial development of custom marketing projects for technology vendors. I advised clients on content creation for micro-sites, white papers; print advertorial inserts; and more. I developed editorial pitches that helped win new business to the CIMS group, including a channel project for Oracle.
Scholastic Inc., NY, NY
I served as senior editor at Home Office Computing magazine, writing about both business and technology topics, and managing a team of editors and freelancers covering what was then the emerging class of home office and telecommuting workers.
● I headed up Home Office Computing’s technology reviews, establishing more formal testing methodologies and introducing greater discipline into the evaluation and reviews-writing process.
● I developed stories around topics ranging from the best home office deals to “secret-shopper” PC reports, and launched the magazine’s first desktop publishing awards contest.
Ziff-Davis Inc., NY, NY
I held the position of associate editor at PC Magazine, covering networking and hardware technologies.
● I was responsible for what was then PC Magazine’s biggest reviews project—its annual printer roundup—involving numerous staff and freelance personnel, covering 100+ printers, and consuming hundreds of people-hours. I was the first editor in years to bring that project in on schedule and on budget.
● I developed excellent project and team management skills. Associate editors were required to work in conjunction with a technical project manager on reviews testing, assigning reviews to freelancers, managing both budgets and processes, and compiling reports into compelling packages that outlined a technology and its importance to the readership.
M.A., English and American Literature, New York University NY, NY - M.A
B.S., Journalism, summa cum laude, St. John’s University NY, NY